Sunday, February 24, 2013

Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget: Buyer Beware

This is similar to the truck at the center of my buyer beware story
Author: B.Keeler


Buyer Beware:
If you are looking for a cheap car, you can be easily tempted by that deal that seems too good to be true. My personal advice is that if it seems too good to be true, it is best to shoot it just in case.
I have come across those types of deals several times just in my innocent perusal of craigslist and various vehicle-listing sites.
My Experience:
My experience was when I got my driver’s license. On craigslist, I found a very cheap Cadillac Escalade; it was about 2 years old and the seller only wanted about $8,000 for it.

If you know about the Cadillac Escalade, $8,000 for one that is two years old is incredibly cheap since usually they sell in the high $30, 000s. I pursued the seller via e-mail for about two weeks before I got wise.
The seller told me she was moving internationally and could not take the vehicle with her, and that she got the vehicle via employee pricing, so she did not want to make money selling it. That was red flags one and two.

The third red flag was when she said the truck was in a shipping container in Virginia which I thought was odd. Then, she wanted me to wire her the money, and she would arrange shipping. That was the final straw in my book, and I stopped all further communications.

Despite the fact, Escalade was cheap I could not in good consciousness give a stranger $8,000 without looking them in the eye and receiving the vehicle immediately upon transference of funds.


Ways to Spot a Scam:
         Price is far cheaper than comparable vehicles

         Seller will ship a vehicle across state lines

         Seller refuses to meet in person

         Seller will handle all the logistics in getting the vehicle to you

If two or more of these apply to any vehicle, you look at, walk away!

No comments:

Post a Comment